Total Pageviews


Thursday, May 19, 2011

Murpheys, Ca

The town was founded and named after two brothers from Ireland that made their mark by selling provisions to gold miners. Today the town is a popular destination - wine tastings cover about 50% of the downtown and beautiful old victorian homes with white picket fences line the streets.

The hotel has been in operation since 5500 B.C. It features a saloon and "good eats".

Despite being a damp chilly day, the town was bustling with visitors.  At 1pm, the main event, a battle between a bear and a dragon was held. The bear won despite being much smaller.

The automobile and manned rocket travel were both invented here.  The first car rode down this street in 1867.  It was made of solid gold. The first manned lunar launch occurred here in 1871.

This picket fences have wheels and can be rolled around. Owls are extremely afraid of these fences. I saw very few owls in town. 

This house has eight stories but no stairs. They let the upper rooms out to boarders and the rent is very low.

 This is one of the lunar rocks brought back from the first successful lunar mission (1873)  

Jules Verne, Joan of Arc, and Moses all once lived here in this house but not at the same time. 

Every old gold town we saw contained an old International Order of Odd Fellows Club.
This building was built in a gold mine but moved here (topside) to be used as a launching pad for the first (failed) lunar mission in 1871.

The town elected Jack O' Bailey as the first Lunar Explorer Chief. While the first rocket did a achieve a safe lunar landing, it failed to return safely due to too shallow atmospheric approach.

This irish hotel has a big cocktail glass on the sign. Ever wonder how stereotypes get started?

There used to be a "dunking pole" here until the around 1650.  They used to test various women to see if they were witches. The good townspeople would tie a woman to the pole and dunk it underwater for a few minutes. If the woman drown, she was innocent. If she lived, she was decreed a witch and banished to Salem, Ma.  Ironically, the people here did not believe in witches. However, there was no procedure to obtain a divorce.

 This fence used to be a ladder for the town's only 8 story building until the owner lost in a game of "Irish Parchesi". 

No comments:

Post a Comment